Elements allows users to automatically claim publications using author identifiers such as Scopus author IDs, ResearcherIDS and ORCIDs. You can manually manage your publications by following the directions below.
Manually claim records
- Menu > Publications > Pending
- Homepage > Pending publications > Select the publication type
- From the Elements homepage, under My Actions, click Claim Publications. This will open your pending publications list.
- The following are recommended filter options to expedite this claiming process:
- For the Sort by field, select Title (A to Z)
- For the Results per page field, select 100
- Select the Compact View button so most (not all) publications display in alphabetical order
- Using the Title filter on the right hand sidebar, search for each publication printed on your dossier or CV. As you type the title in the filter, the corresponding publication will appear.
- Click Claim as mine to add a record to your claimed publications list (will appear under the Mine tab).
Manually reject records
After you have claimed all publications on your dossier or CV, many remaining pending publications will not be yours. Quickly scroll through remaining results to verify whether you have any left to claim. If none are yours, you can reject records in bulk or individually.
Bulk reject records
- From the pending publications list, check Select all on page to select all of the remaining records.
- Click Reject to bulk reject all of the selected items.
Reject records individually
- From the pending publications list, check the box next to the title of the record that you want to reject.
- Click Reject next to the individual listing.
Summary View of Publications
By default, you will see a compact summary of articles in your pending or claimed list. Click Detailed View to access a more detailed summary view of each publication.
The summary view of each publication includes pertinent bibliographic detail, DOI link, Publication type (e.g. Conference, Journal Article) and Reporting date(s).
If present, bibliometric data for the publication is displayed in the summary tab:
- Journal Rankings
Summary - Includes Bibliographic Information, Journal Rankings, Citations, Altmetrics
Note: The Altmetric score reflects the online attention that a publication has received.
Organization users- List of (institution) users associated with the publication.
History - Log of all changes and notes made to the publication.
Data sources - Lists the records that exist for the publication. A data source is the place from which data about that publication was drawn. This might include an online database, a previous faculty information system, or manual entry.
Links - Details of users and elements (like funding sources) linked to the publication.
Once a publication has been claimed, the following actions are available from the summary view:
Full Detail View of Publications
The full detail view of a publication contains the full bibliographic detail.
Access this view by selecting View full details icon in the summary view, or by clicking the title of a publication wherever it is found in Elements.
From here you can add a manual record to the publication and relate other elements to the publication.
The components of the full detail view of a publication include:
Summary - A summary of the publications bibliographic and bibliometric details.
Data Source - The full bibliographic detail by source.
Links - Details of users and elements linked to the publication.
Affiliations - A map showing the address distribution for affiliated authors.
- Favorites - Marking something as a Favorite improves the visibility of the article in your Elements profile.
- Workspace - Add items to your workspace to remove duplicates or to join or split records.
Reporting Date - The dates set against the publication for reporting purposes (publication date).
History - A log of changes and manually added notes made to the publication.
After you have claimed/rejected your publications, your next step is to select a preferred data source for each publication.