CarmenCanvas gives you the option to set up peer reviews in an Assignment or Discussion. Peer review assignments enable students to provide feedback on another student's assignment submission in Carmen. They can annotate, comment and use a rubric to evaluate work submitted by their classmates. Typically, peer review happens after an assignment is due, and students will only be able to complete a peer review if they have submitted the assignment being reviewed. Peer reviews can be assigned to show student names or display anonymously.
- The date for automatically assigning randomized peer reviews must fall after the due date for the assignment (the default setting must be changed, if only to fifteen minutes later).
- Until the availability period for the assignment ends, both the original author and the reviewer can resubmit a file that will overwrite the original. To prevent this, set the availability period to be the same as the due date.
- If peer review is used for Group Assignments, the random assigning of reviews does not take group membership into account (so students might be assigned to review others either in or out of their groups).
- Manually assigned peer reviews show the assignment's due date in the student's dashboard To-Do list. However, once you assign a peer review, the due date still shows the due date of the original assignment, not the peer review.
Create peer review assignments
See the following Canvas guides for detailed directions on creating peer review assignments:
You can manually assign each student to review other's work or have reviews randomly distributed with a single click. This randomization process can be set up ahead of time, so it happens automatically after all assignments have been submitted. If assigning automatically, determine how many reviews each student should complete and the date and time they should be made available for review.
See the following Canvas guides for more information about manual and automatically assigning peer reviews:
- How do I manually assign peer reviews for an assignment?
- How do I automatically assign peer reviews for an assignment?
Create peer review discussions
See the following Canvas guides for detailed instructions for creating a peer review discussion:
See the Canvas guides below for detailed instructions on assigning peer reviews manually or automatically. Please note, if you're assigning automatically, determine how many reviews each student should complete and the date/time they should be made available for review.
- How do I manually assign peer reviews for a discussion?
- How do I automatically assign peer reviews for a discussion?
View and grade peer reviews
You can access the peer review comments by clicking Peer Review from the Assignment page. Peer review comments also display in SpeedGrader along with any other comments left on the assignment.
Students don't automatically receive a grade for completing a peer review. If you want to award points for peer reviews, you can create a no submission assignment in the gradebook and assign points manually.
See How do I view student peer review comments as an instructor for more information.
You might consider sharing the Peer Review for Students article with your students to help them navigate using Carmen peer reviews.