A forum course is a CarmenCanvas course shell that is not connected to the Registrar's system. It is a dedicated, consistent space that can be used for many university purposes. They can also be used for building instructional materials that you can then copy into the academic course each semester.
All forum courses are grouped into a special term (e.g., Other term) in an effort to make the courses more visible and easier to find using the filter options.
Instructors in a forum course can add other users in any role using the landing page functionality.
If you have questions about creating academic courses, please visit create a course.
Who can use these courses?
Why should you use them?
- Faculty and staff may use forums for projects and programs that need to communicate and collaborate with participants in ways the mimic instructor-student interactions. If you project involves collaboration among peers, we suggest using Teams or other tools in the Microsoft suite.
- Faculty, instructional designers, and course coordinators may use forums to design new courses or manage content that needs to be pushed to many similar courses each semester.
Instructors may copy existing course content into a forum to save it for later use or share it with a new instructor. Using a forum for these protects the FERPA content in the original course and allows for easier editing as needed.
Create a forum course
To create a forum course space in Canvas:
- Login to carmen.osu.edu.
- At the bottom right corner of the page, you will see this Request Forum Course button. You may need to scroll down if you don’t see it.
- Click Request Forum Course.
This will take you to the Request a Forum Course page at https://aegis.osu.edu/
- In the Desired Course Title field, type in the course title.
- In the Desired Short Title field, type in the short title.
- In the Course Instructor field, type the participant's university username (lastname.#).
- Select their name from the drop-down menu when it appears. Repeat this step to add multiple instructors.
- Ffrom the Select Sub-Account dropdown list, select the appropriate Sub-Account. The default Sub-Account will be Office of Distance Education and eLearning.
- Optional step to create a multi-sectioned course.
To create a multi-sectioned course space, click on the “+” sign to get more sections, until you have the number of sections as desired. If you added too many, click the the trash icon next to the extra section listings to remove it.Image
- Verify the information you entered is all correct, then click Create.