Each Mediasite presentation is made up of discrete parts that fit together. For example, the screencast (your recording media), audio, player and captioning are all separate pieces within a presentation.
You might think of a Mediasite presentation like a collage photograph frame. The presentation is the collage frame; the parts of the presentation are the photos. Not all parts are required, but some are more important to the success of a presentation.
Before You Begin
Before you begin creating your presentation, there are a few points to consider:
- Create your Presenter Information profile. It provides a good way to share information about yourself. See the Managing your Mediasite Profile guide for details.
- If you plan to use Channels to organize or distribute your information, create the channels before your create the presentation. Creating a Channel first allows you to add your recording to the Channel with ease. See the Working with Channels guide for details.
- In addition to creating Channels, or instead of creating Channels, you can request a Catalog to distribute your presentations by completing the Mediasite Contact Form.
- Be sure to install and register your Mediasite Desktop Recorder.
Choosing a Method
There are three ways to create a presentation in Mediasite. Depending on your purpose, one method may be more applicable than another.
- Use the Desktop Recorder - Use the Desktop Recorder when you would like to create a new presentation within Mediasite, using one of the four recording options: Screencast + Video, Screencast + Audio, Slideshow + Video and Slideshow + Audio. See the Choosing a Desktop Recorder Presentation Type guide for details.
- Upload Media from your Desktop - If you have already created the media of your presentation (i.e., you have a MP3, FLV or other file format), you can upload it to Mediasite. Depending on your process, you might upload your recording as a new presentation, upload to a scheduled presentation, or upload external media to a scheduled presentation.
- Schedule use of the Hardware Recorder - The Hardware Recorder is integrated into the podium of specified classrooms on the OSU Columbus campus. Complete the Mediasite Contact Form to schedule use of the Hardware Recorder in one of these classrooms. Once recorded, you will be able to see and manage your presentation in your MyMediasite Portal.